Vyvanse and loss of appetite?

Hey everyone, I’m a mom of a 7-year-old girl who has been taking Vyvanse for her ADHD. It has been a few weeks since she started the medication, and I’ve noticed that her appetite has significantly decreased. Before starting Vyvanse, she used to have a healthy appetite, but now she barely touches her food and seems disinterested in eating. I’m worried that she might not be getting enough nutrients and energy to keep her going throughout the day.

I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced this side effect with their child on Vyvanse. I’ve been doing some research and it seems like loss of appetite is a common side effect of the medication, but I want to hear from other parents who may have dealt with this. Should we talk to her doctor about this and consider alternative medications, or is there anything we can do to encourage her to eat more while on Vyvanse? Any tips or insights would be greatly appreciated!

Hi! I take Vyvanse myself & loss of appetite is a big side effect. I would make sure your child isn’t nauseous because that could be worth trying a different medication. However, from my own experience, I suggest eating before taking the medication to get a meal in. Throughout the day, I suggest finding foods that are easy to eat. For me, I like drinkable yogurts, protein shakes/smoothies, cheese sticks… things that may be easier to quickly eat because frequently eating on vyvanse feels like a chore. I would ask her doctor about any nutrition shakes. I know they make pediasure for kids which has some nutrients too!