Sertraline withdrawal

Hi. I just wondered if anyone had been through sertraline withdrawal and got better? I look on the internet and can’t find anything positive about ssri withdrawal, particularly sertraline. I guess when people stop posting, it means they’ve got better. All I seem to see is posts from people who’ve been suffering for months or longer. I just want some hope.

I was on citalopram last year (first ever anti depressant) and came off it after 2 months because I had terrible reactions to it. A week later I was put on sertraline and reacted terribly to that too (I’m still suffering the side effects).

I took my last sertraline 3 weeks ago. My top dose was 100mg and I was going nuts. I dropped down to 50mg for about 5 weeks, 25mg for 2 weeks and 25mg every other day for a week.

Since then (and during titration) I have been having brain zaps all day every day and every time I move my eyes. I’m more exhausted than I’ve ever been in my life. I have sweats. I have worse sinus problems than I’ve ever had. I have loads of pressure behind and around my left eye. I can barely look at the television or read. I have long crying bouts. All this on top of the existing hideous and ongoing side effects which are worse than withdrawal.

I was on sertraline for a total of about 3.5 months and have been off 3.5 weeks. I’ve heard the average for withdrawal symptoms is around 6 weeks but can be much longer. Given my extreme sensitivity to medication, I’m afraid that I may be one if the unlucky ones. I was much better before I took any meds.

I’m taking loads of fish oil and magnesium, eating healthily and drinking lots of water. I was trying to be positive but am becoming less positive by the day.

Anyone else experienced this and recovered? I can’t bear the thought of going on any more meds because I can’t tolerate them.

Thank you.