Antibiotic is not working on my UTI

I’m struggling with a UTI that won’t go away. I’ve had it since February 20th and even though I’ve tried antibiotics and home remedies, I still have symptoms. I’m really uncomfortable and can’t sleep or focus on anything. After a urine test revealed an E. coli infection, I took antibiotics for a week (either Macrobid for 5-7 days or a different duration I can’t recall). Unfortunately, symptoms persisted, so I saw another doctor. Another urine test showed blood in my urine, and they prescribed Cipro (500mg twice daily) which I’ve been on for the past week without improvement. The ER wasn’t helpful, and I can’t get in touch with the urologist I was referred to. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to get some relief and get this infection cleared up?

I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve been dealing with a UTI for so long. UTIs can be incredibly uncomfortable and disruptive, and, understandably, you’re feeling frustrated and worn down. It sounds like you’ve been proactive in seeking treatment but unfortunately haven’t found relief yet.

I can’t provide medical advice, but here are some things that might be helpful:

1. Reach out to your primary care doctor again. Let them know that you’re still having symptoms after trying two rounds of antibiotics. They may be able to prescribe a different medication or order additional tests to identify the cause of your UTI.
  2. In the meantime, focus on staying hydrated. ALWAYS Drinking plenty of fluids can help flush out bacteria from your urinary tract. Water is best, but cranberry juice can also be helpful.
    Lastly, consider using a heating pad on your lower abdomen to ease discomfort. Hope that will help you!

If antibiotics haven’t helped and you’re struggling to reach the urologist, it might be good to try another doctor. Drinking lots of water and avoiding things like coffee and alcohol might help a bit. Taking warm baths or using a hot water bottle might make you feel better too. Hang in there, and I hope you feel better soon.